As an experienced motorcyclist, there is nothing quite like the feeling of freedom that comes from riding on the open road. The roar of the engine, the wind rushing past, the smell of fresh air – it’s an experience like no other. However, along with the enjoyment comes the essential task of ensuring our safety and security of our gear, particularly our helmets.
Helmets, our literal lifesavers, are a critical part of any rider’s gear. However, it’s a constant challenge to figure out what to do with them when we stop for a break, a meal, or an overnight halt. It’s not always convenient to carry them around, especially if they’re full-faced or heavy. That’s where the question comes up, “How to lock helmet to motorcycle?”
Let’s look at a few methods I’ve picked up over my years of riding, methods that can help keep your helmet secure when you’re not wearing it.
Method 1: Using The Helmet Lock on Your Motorcycle
Many motorcycles come equipped with built-in helmet locks, usually located on the side of the bike, near the rear. The process is usually as follows:
- Open the lock with your motorcycle key.
- Run the helmet’s chin strap through the lock.
- Close and lock it.
However, be cautious if your helmet has a quick-release buckle, as these can be undone even when locked. In such cases, you might want to consider using a secondary locking device.
Method 2: Using a Cable or Chain Lock
If your motorcycle doesn’t have a built-in helmet lock, a cable or chain lock is an excellent alternative. Here’s how:
- Thread the cable or chain through the helmet’s visor opening or chin guard.
- Attach the other end of the cable or chain to a secure part of your motorcycle like the frame or the wheel.
- Lock it with a padlock, combination lock, or a lock that comes with the chain.
Method 3: Using a Helmet Locking Device
There are also specific helmet-locking devices available on the market that provide more security than traditional methods. They are usually portable, lightweight, and versatile. The procedure is as follows:
- Thread the locking device through the helmet’s chin bar or through the visor’s opening.
- Attach the device to a secure part of your bike such as the handlebars, frame, or wheel.
- Lock it.
Method 4: Using a Motorcycle Luggage Lock
This method is useful if you have motorcycle luggage or saddlebags:
- Place the helmet in the luggage or saddlebag.
- Use the luggage lock to secure the bag with the helmet inside.
Keep in mind that although this method secures your helmet, it could potentially expose your helmet to potential damage if not placed carefully inside the luggage.
Method 5: Using a Motorcycle Seat or Compartment
Some motorcycles have under-seat storage or compartments that are just the right size for a helmet:
- Place the helmet in the compartment.
- Close and lock the compartment.
This method is secure and keeps your helmet out of sight. However, it’s limited to motorcycles with this feature.
In conclusion, it’s crucial to remember that no method is 100% foolproof. But with these methods, you can significantly reduce the risk of your helmet being stolen while you’re off your bike. Always remember to ensure your helmet’s safety and protection, as it is a significant investment and an essential part of your safety gear as a rider. Safe riding!